After seeing Earth, the Disneynature movie, last year I was eagerly awaiting Oceans. As much as I loved watching Earth, I couldn’t wait to see my favorite water animal on the big screen. . .jellyfish. I got to go with some friends this past weekend, and if I can be honest, I left a little disappointed. I cannot put my finger on it, but it wasn’t as easy to follow as Earth had been. Oceans showed a variety of water creatures, and because of its large range of focus, it was hard to become invested and part of the underwater mysteries.
Despite all of this, I still recommend watching it. The movie provides a great opportunity to look at God’s creation and marvel at how creative, powerful, glorious and wise our God is. This month, take your family to go see it. Before you go, read the Creation narrative found in Genesis 1. After the movie engage their heart with some questions:
What was your favorite animal? Why?
- Who made that animal? (God.)
- How did God make that animal? (He spoke it into being.)
- What does this show us about God? (He is the strong Creator.)
- How is God’s perfect wisdom, strength and creativity displayed in this movie?
- Why did God create all these things? (For His glory.)
- How does knowing that God is perfectly wise, strong and creative affect the way you live this week.
- Spend time praising God and telling Him how good He is. Thank Him for your favorite animal in the ocean. Confess to Him that sometimes you forget to praise Him. Ask God to help you trust that He is the wise and strong Creator.
Use this movie as an opportunity to talk about and praise God. If you would like more activities you can check out the Oceans website.